If you are looking for an awesome side dish for your ham, this recipe is for you, it taste like spring! I have served it at room temperature and cold both ways are delicious. Happy Easter!
Lemon Orzo Asparagus Salad
2 whole Lemons, Zested
½ cups Lemon Juice
3 cloves Garlic, Crushed
¾ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
½ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound Thin-stalked Asparagus, Plus Boiling Water For Cooking Asparagus
4 cups Chicken Stock
4 cups Water
1 Tablespoon Salt
¼ teaspoons Turmeric
3 cups Orzo Pasta
½ cups Green Onions, Whites And Stalks, Thinly Sliced
1 whole Lemon Thinly Sliced
1. Place the lemon zest, juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a deep-sided bowl.
2. Add the oil in a thin, steady stream while whisking the mixture vigorously to form an emulsion. Set aside.
1. Clean the asparagus (snap the tough end pieces off) and lay the asparagus stalks in a heat-resistant 9” x 13” Pyrex dish.
2. Pour boiling water over the asparagus (just enough to cover it), cover dish with plastic wrap and let sit until the water is slightly warm. This no-fuss method produces perfectly cooked asparagus.
3. Drain water and remove the asparagus to your cutting board and cut the stalks diagonally into two-inch pieces. Set aside.
4. Place the chicken stock and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the salt and turmeric and bring back to a boil.
5. Add the orzo and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Drain orzo, but do not rinse it.
7. Place the hot orzo in a spacious, heat-resistant bowl and add the asparagus and green onions. Whisk the dressing if needed and pour it over the salad. Mix well.
8. Cool to room temperature. Adjust seasonings as needed before serving.
9. Decorate with the lemon slices.
You can also serve this cold!
Kelli Bennett 💻